Monday, March 15, 2010

I read it.

And I liked it. We all ate, prayed and loved with Liz the first time as we stifled our jealousy that she could resolve her personal crisis through a world tour and a best seller. Must be nice.

But truth be told. I like Liz. I like her honesty about her struggles and her angst and her admittance that exotic locales in themselves do not solve problems (Riiight) Committed has less sobbing but no less conflict as she reconciles her feelings about marriage the second time around. Fans of EPL will miss the pizza and yoga in exchange for large chunks of sociological and historical overview of marriage. Me? I love the sociohistorio stuff. Descriptions of Hmong marriage rituals? Yes! Revelations on how the church and the state have passed this institution back and forth to serve each of their love-less agendas? More please!

But the best part of reading this tale of torment was putting it down and realizing: I am not tormented. I have been before and I will be again, but today...I am at peace. And according to Liz, and statistics, I should be miserable. Based on my life choices I am doomed to divorce and and regret. Talk about committed?! I read this book in four minute intervals while hiding in the bathroom...

But I am learning that life is about trade-offs. I may never be Secretary of State (sad) or Beyonce (sadder) But I realize that for every sacrifice there is a gain. I also choose to believe crazy stuff, counter-intuitive stuff like "Whoever finds his life will lose it and whoever loses his life for me will find it." (Jesus) And my favorite theologian, Michael W. Smith "Love isn't love until you give it away..." We are all committing to something...

In the midst of one of my covert reading sessions, I heard the familiar pat-pat-pat of little feet and then the bathroom door swung open. If Foo spoke English she would have said "Here you are Silly! How did you get away from me?" And at that moment, I felt, confusingly, a strong sense of belonging, commitment, and freedom.




4 comments:

Megan said...

Love the post, especially the throwback to MWS

Erin said...

Neen. Get pissed off more often. This ranks up there with the Already But Not Yet post. Till cows give chocolate milk, Urn.

Ruthie said...

I liked reading this entry more than reading that book. E.G. is so whiny!! And the whole wine colored coat/Grandma part? I felt so belittled. I am so sensitive.

I am glad you feel free. Can we thank Beth Moore for this?

Nina said...

RuthA - Lets be honest i love the Beth Moore study but I haven't made it in time since January. and I haven't done my homework since then. Love Beth Moore. I will never complete one of those workbooks. Are you sensing the freedom?

And Megan - Ruthie went to a wedding that MWS sang at. I know. I KNOW. I am so jealous.