Saturday, March 13, 2010

Explanations





These are pictures from last Memorial Day, about the name that we started calling Baby Sister Olivia "Foo". The above picture of S and O, Uncle Tbone and Juan Bobo is one of my all-time favorites.

I have been asked about the origin of Olivia's alias "Foo." I forget that it might not sound quite right to people. What's sad is that there really isn't a funny or satisfying explanation except the age-old story of us building our own symbolic world, an island of weirdness - a "family system."
On our vacation to Martha's Vineyard last May I started calling Olivia "Stinky Foo" which rhymed with "Bugaboo" - my nickname for Sophia. Sophia thought it was so funny but then suggested we just call her "Foo." It stuck. Olivia has four syllables. The majority of time all four are not making it out. So she becomes Liv, or Livie, or Livia, or...Foo.
See, now it makes no more real sense than before - but if you find you don't need it to...well, welcome to the family:)











4 comments:

LindseyStrickland said...

Now I'd like a detailed explanation of the 2009 Ana Strickland Christmas letter!

Katie Shields said...

Thank you for breaking that down! I have been wondering...

And, Lindsey, this is the second reference I've hear to Ana Strickland's 2009 Christmas letter. I think it's time that one of you Strickland family bloggers scan & post (Ruthie... ? Are you out there? Or has your doppelganger kidnapped you?)

Ruthie said...

Katie, Ana's gonna be mortified that she didn't sent you a copy. I'll give her your address ASAP. (I mean, scanning???)

Ruthie said...

Also, I have to say that Foo's hair has improved tremendously since these pics. And this pic of Uncle Tbone with Bobito, Sophia and Foo is my fav too.