Monday, December 6, 2010

The Grandest Yet...

This weekend Travis was out of town and we were hosting a holiday open house on Sunday during Grand Illumination - about twenty minutes after he was due to return. So Saturday, my work lay ahead of me - dozens and dozens and dozens of cookies to bake, food to cook, and my house to clean in such away that it would look like civilized people lived there - a weighty endeavor indeed. Until a Festivus Miracle occurred with the arrival of The Connecticut Krops. In town for a wedding, their presence turned a day I was dreading into such a great time. And, as always they were a HUGE help.

Note: Mike pumping air into the tires of my stroller.

Kristen put on an apron and started to bake. This sweet friend has been bailing me out of crises ever since we were bunking beds on the third floor of Dupont Hall.


Mike and I frosted cookies. I depended on his architect eye to create an aesthetic I was not capable of. I was still frosting Gingerbread People at midnight while it was softly snowing outside. It was a beautiful Christmas-y moment - marred only by what my Gingerbread actually looked like. I quit after doing only six. I figured I couldn't convince people that Olivia had been able to frost more than that.


Sunday night turned out to be wonderful. Many fabulous friends stopped by - including Rudolph.

We were so excited to have people in our little home.

And the fireworks were breathtaking. Some though, were not so enthralled...

And others really,
really,

really enjoyed them.

We were thrilled that Grandma and Grandpa joined us for their first Grand Illumination!

This is, quite possibly, the most celebrated night in this city. And its one of our favorites.
Sharing it with so many people we love could have made this year the best yet...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww how I miss Grand Illumination! And so fun that M&K were there to help. :) I'm sure your cookies were fabulous, Bird. Wish we were closer!!

kkrop said...

Neen, You were so gracious to allow us to crash at your house for the whole day when you had so much going on! It was great to see you and spend time with you. Looks like your party was a huge success! Here's to many more:)