Saturday, December 18, 2010

All around us

Snow is falling outside again. Have you ever noticed that every children's Christmas book unfolds against a backdrop of snow? Until this week I had just come to assume that each of these books took place in St. Paul, Minnesota. I don't know when and why Christmas and snow got so entangled but occasionally it does feel nice to fulfill Hallmark Card Expectations. We've had a whirlwind two days of snow and birthday goodness with much to share. But just tonight I was taking inventory of the moments this week that could well be considered Christmas miracles in my little life.

1. Stroller Saved.
We met Aunt Lindsey and Cousins Addie and Carter at the Childrens Museum of Richmond a few weeks ago. And I left my stroller. Who leaves their stroller places? It's like kids who forget their backpacks at school. And I actually left it on the curb about a block down from the museum. I didn't realize it was missing until 5 days later when I looked in my trunk and then mentally retraced my steps. Uh-oh. I can just envision the scene. Strap girls in, hand snacks, load bags, get in car, drive away. It was another 5 days before I took the time to call the museum on the off-chance that someone pushed my stroller a whole block back to the museum for the Lost and Found. And apparently someone did (and pushing the Baby Trend Sit n' Stand is not fun - I do not recommend it for you Baby Registers out there...). And not only that, the museum still had it - they didn't donate it when the crazy person who left it apparently didn't miss it for over a week. And Mr. Roy is holding onto my stroller for another week until I can make it to Richmond to retrieve it. Festivus Miracle? Definitely.

2. Carolers.
Real ones. Not a group I had convinced. Not school children. Not high schoolers working on Key Club hours. Real grown up carolers showed up outside our door Thursday night. And I was overcome. And they were standing there all bundled up against a backdrop of snowy sludge and it was my own Falalalala Lifetime moment. They said they were law students who had just finished their finals and wanted to come out and do this. WHAT?! I'm familiar with what people are usually doing when they finish their finals...we find their debris in our front yard in the morning. But this group came caroling. It was such a stark contrast to the news on TV at the moment...their sweet voices drowned out the descriptions of a world full of disasters and people with very dark hearts. I would have followed them anywhere. Instead I showered them with all the baked goods I could find and thanked them profusely.

3. Neighbors
We went with some neighbors to a Christmas concert last week and tonight we were at our other neighbors for a party. And when I say "neighbor" I mean we literally share a yard. Both of these families have an up close view of the recycling bin on my side porch(and can tell by the overflow that I missed pick-up this week). Really knowing people who live next to you is comforting and natural.But...I admit, we should come with Neighbor Warning Signs: We will need to borrow butter and salt and maybe your car. We will give you a key to our house because its safer with you than with us. There is often screaming in the driveway because our small children have trouble transitioning from the house to the car and vice versa. And occasionally we have large groups of people over which require us to move all of our furniture into our driveway. Please note that this was not Nina's idea and do not be alarmed. It will all be moved back before the night is over. It can't be denied that it takes a village for our family to carry on and and this week I've been struck with what a great one we've been blessed with right on our street...

So there's a piece of my own Heathrow Airport musings. The festive feelings around here have been so strong that I haven't yet needed my favorite Christmas movies to create seasonal mood. But hopefully I'll get to some of them this week because surely they couldn't hurt...

1 comment:

the reppard crew said...

pls let me get your stroller for you! email me ... i think i can go weds or thurs. the boys are begging me to go ...

xo
shannon