Monday, November 29, 2010

(hope you had a) Happy Thanksgiving

We had a great Thanksgiving...parade watching, food eating, hot tubbing, you know...the usual. As would be expected, I have no pictures - except for these: Look at the adorable edible masterpiece served at Sophia's class party! I provided the plates, crackers, and carrots...someday I will construct edible art, someday...
We feasted in Virginia Beach then spent a couple days down there relaxing with family. Bright and early Friday I found myself at...BIG K. Some of you may not realize that Kmart, home to the Kathy Ireland clothing line among other things, holds the largest, most value-priced selection of what my family calls "Character Clothing."(cringe) Yes, I was there to purchase Disney Princess and Dora pajamas - cheaply made and cheaply sold. My girls love this stuff. And I am yielding, albeit slowly. But not slow enough to miss the fact that Big K has the goods and on Black Friday the prices were slashed even lower. So there I was, shoveling through racks of Princess clothing, throwing them in my cart, heading to the checkout only to have my kind cashier confess that she thought she was still drunk from Thanksgiving. 'Tis the Season. I did enjoy my first real Black Friday adventure. I'm trying to be organized this Christmas and I found my few hours shopping energizing and definitely money-saving.
Black Friday Shopping Tips:
1. Drive a small car. I was lucky to be borrowing my mother-in-laws VW bug. It can whip around parking garages very quickly and fits into any spot imaginable. And make sure you know where your horn is. You will need it.
2. When at the mall take your bags to the car and go back in if you are not finished. Do not haul heavy shopping bags around. My hands are calloused and I need a chiropractor. And I did see paramedics resuscitating someone in the food court. It's a jungle out there. Perhaps training for a Turkey Trot could be my best prep for next year.
3. Brew and bring your own coffee. Food Court McDonalds ran out and Starbucks had the longest line in the mall (and I feel like raised their prices for the occasion - has a Frappucino always been almost five dollars?) And hydration is a necessity.

We started taking down our Christmas decorations last night. Which put Sophia back into Manger-playing mode. Check out the scene above. Everyone has a very distinct role. And she is ALWAYS Mary. I LOVE her imagination. I LOVE that when she asks me who can be Joseph and I suggest Bert (from Sesame Street) she totally sees how that can work. I LOVE that a basket can be a manger and a Teddy Bear can be a Wise Man. Though it can make it difficult to get out the door (like when we brought all Seven "Dwarves" to the Farmers Market), I dread the day when culture's cynicism starts creeping in.
Note: Elmo is proudly reviving his role from last year as Baby Jesus.

And today in the spirit of our first ever Attempt to be Organized Christmas we headed out to get the tree.


In this season of thanks I confess that my cup runneth over and and my heart is full.
We have so much in so many ways. I am grateful for my little family.

And the wild wonder of being a mom.
But my gratitude is tempered by the knowing that it's been a year of loss to many people I love dearly. This Thanksgiving was the first of many new Thanksgivings - reminders of what used to be and what isn't any more. I have friends who are missing parents and husbands and children. My friend and Mom Hero Jordan said goodbye to her mother just last Tuesday, after an unprecedented 7 year fight against breast cancer.

"Thank you" takes on new meaning in the midst of suffering. I'm learning about gratitude and life from my friends who have suffered loss. My friends who are grieving are teaching me about hope. And as this season of Advent begins, these friends are also teaching me about waiting for joy.

Thank you.

No comments: