Saturday, November 13, 2010

La Luna

Thanks to the time change, darkness descending before 5 pm means more opportunities to...see the moon! Sophia said the other night,"We're so lucky! We get to see the moon so much now!" Did you notice the Crescent Moon this week? We saw it every night. We like to search for it out of car windows and from carts in parking lots and from underneath stroller shades. The first one who spots the moon shouts out in joy and then we all break into Margaret Wise Brown's ageless incantation...
"Good Night Room. Good Night Moon. Good night cow jumping over the moon..."
I don't think I noticed the moon much for about 25 years. I am struck by watching Sophia and Olivia marvel at something that is there every night. The regularity of it is more cause for joy, not less. They never become rushed in their observation or bored with the subject. It's the moon. Bright and shiny, far away, high up, and mysterious. Just guessing its shape is exhilarating. I am drawn to watching them watch it. At our local School of Wonder, they are the teachers and I am the student. And I have much to unlearn. "Aren't we so lucky? We get to see the moon so much now!"

No comments: