Thursday, July 29, 2010

Remember When...Thirty Seemed so Old?

Travis turned 30, on July 26th and was suprised with a Festa Italia Party...Everyone brought a favorite Italian dish in order that Travis could enjoy those things he loves most - people and marinara sauce. What is so surprising was - he actually was surprised! There were over 80 people there and he had no suspicions. Sadly, this could also be an indicator of how stressful his summer is and how low his birthday expectations are. Some college guys kidnapped him (yes, he was forced to sit blindfolded on the floor of a van even) and after a full afternoon they brought him in a dark hood to the party house, took the hood off and when we yelled surprise he had to turn around and go outside just to figure out where he was...


Post-surprise embraces...Nick Hill? Did I invite you? Glad you found your way there...



And the food...oh the food...Everyone went all-out. This was no ordinary pot-luck...This was an amazing culinary adventure!


Look at this spread!




Party Guests ate to their hearts delight...

Guests filled out name tags with a place for their name and then their connection to Travis.
"My Name is....I'm Travis's...."
Entries got quite creative.










Yes, if you look closely Dave claims to be Travis's "lover"







Here is Travis with his Summer Interns. Towards the end of the evening Travis started collecting the nametags and wearing them.

Luke was my great Emcee for the evening...



And Travis with our VERY gracious host...
80 people? No problem


Its common knowledge that Travis and I go WAY back...as in to kindergarten. We went to school together until 3rd grade and then reconnected again the summer after 6th grade in the church youth group. That June I turned 12 and the next month he turned 13. All I wanted to be was a teenager and he berated me all summer saying "You're closer to 11 than you are to 13!"
Sweet Justice you are finally mine. Happy Birthday Trav. I'm closer to 28 than I am to 30.

Aunt Ashley flew in from New York, bringing a frozen slice of Sicilian pizza from Travis's favorite pizza resturant as a gift. Oh the sibling love...

Simone Family Picture...


Foo was worn out by this very Grown Up party...

But I think Sophia could have gone all night...

It was an amazing night that exceeded even my most hopeful expectations. I wanted to give Travis a moment - just a moment to feel how rich he was in community and friends and life. We have so much and daily schedules can be so relentless - it was a great occasion to take pause and celebrate. I was moved seeing how people love him, the incredible influence he has had, and as a result how our "family" continues to extend and expand...We had our immediate families there, extended families, dear friends from Virginia Beach, and our Williamsburg community - some of whom we have known since we started at William and Mary in 1999. People have been so good to us. I felt humbled and grateful and George Bailey-esque - and I didn't even have to turn 30 for it...


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww, looks like you guys had a great time! And I am VERY impressed with your party planning skills. The birthday queen's reign continues... :)

Anonymous said...

ummmm... this looks ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!! how on EARTH did we get to be 30 years old?!?!?!?! so much love to you both --- and to the tiny wee nuggets who will live on our days (and nights!) of infamy in colonial williamsburg!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Travis! What a par-tay!

AM said...

Nina, I can say this to you. While the party was, i hear, wonderful (so many people told me). Can we talk about how cool Ashley is?