Friday, July 23, 2010

CSSM

As I continue into adulthood, I still have moments when I realize "...not everyone grew up this way?" For example, last week, the girls and I headed back to Virginia Beach to participate in CSSM (I'd put a link, but there isn't one.) CSSM is essentially Vacation Bible School - on the beach. Growing up in a beach town the underwritten rule always seemed to be: "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in our bathing suits." Here's Sophia holding up part of the daily Memory Verse, while wearing her Two Piece Princess Bathing Suit with a Tutu. This image warms my heart and speaks of those values I was raised to honor the most - the beach and Jesus.
Sophia and Olivia were on the young end for this event. But I was eager to start their indoctrination early. I grew up going to CSSM, spent high school as a leader and now my mom runs it, my Cousin Becca assisted her and Brother Peter and Cousin Megan were on the team. It was a family affair. And when I saw two huge Norfolk Christian buses dropping off dozens of children from city neighborhoods, well I felt like I was home.




Foo wasn't so sure. I am determined to make her a beach lover but she tends to resist. We would get there and she'd sit in the sand for 4.5 minutes and then stand up and announce "ALL DONE" and head back to the boardwalk.

Sophia enjoyed making friends new friends. We had a great week and the girls have the tans to show for it, though they may not remember the Bible verses...Maybe next year...

No comments: