Thursday, April 29, 2010

Safety First

My parents laid down sod in their backyard - and I have never seen it look so good. It is like a deep green pillow - even softer than our neighbors's astro-turf lined porch! And perfect for...roller skating? Sophia padded up for the backyard derby - and luckily this time, Foo had a helmet to wear too - no rollerskates, but she didn't seem to notice.
I would like to point out that Olivia is wearing an ensemble from the "Extra Clothes for Children Who REALLY Need Them and Their parents Are Too Negligent to Pack an Extra Outfit" closet from the Church Nursery, which she then covered in a chocolate treat. Oh dear Second Child. You are dirty. I am sorry.

At one point Olivia set off around the side of the house and I couldn't find her. But I was comforted knowing that wherever she was her head was properly protected.

Here she was. Screaming for the neighbor's swings.






Success!

When I was about 11, they made a new law in Virginia Beach that anyone under fourteen could not ride a bike without wearing a helmet. My Mom immediately went out and bought us all helmets. Daniel and I were in the throes of adolescent coolness - well maybe he was, i was just insecure and self-conscious. We refused to wear the helmets. She forbid us to ride bikes without them. We became faithful boardwalk pedestrians. Life lesson? Its hard to integrate new safety and wellness habits even in middle school (or we were Super superficial). These girls still have time. Tomorrow I will start dressing them in life jackets and that really cool sunscreen clothing...


3 comments:

Ruthie said...

haha! this post is perfect. please post pictures of your new haircut!

Elizabeth said...

Fabulous as always! Your new posts always make me SO happy!

Ruthie said...

Olivia looks like the toadstool from Mario in these pictures. In the most adorable way possible, of course.