Thursday, April 8, 2010

Indeed.

Easter is powerful and mindblowing. So much so that its painfully obvious how clumsily we grapple to wrap hearts - and rituals around it. The sacred and the profane battle it out once again in the holiday arena. Resurrection/Large Rabbit/He is Risen/Peeps/Eternal Hope/GETTING THE PERFECT EASTER PICTURE BEFORE THE PERFECT DRESSES ARE COVERED IN CHOCOLATE.

I was filled with hope this Easter in a new way, with a new depth of understanding of transformation and possibility and freedom. Yet, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak because alongside that hope there arose a fierce determination. Just...one...picture.



The sun rose.

And the battle began.

Sophia rose before the sun - Presbyterian at heart and hoping for a good service, I suppose. Regardless, she was out again by 7:45 in front of a Diego movie - very reverent.

This left Foo alone to eat from her Easter Basket. I woke Sophia at 9:45, dressed her rag doll body and threw her, the Foo, and the baskets in the car for church. This cancelled any chance of getting my traditional Easter basket picture on the couch.


Next thought? Parking median at church. Sophia is very awake and enthusiastic at this point. Foo was apparently wandering.

This is Sophia's response to "Please put your arm around your sister."

I should have given up at this point and prepared my heart for the service.


Here we go again...


Then we decided to move inside...


Then a friend suggested that she take my picture in the nursery wing with the girls. This would make it happen. What happened was I held up all of the nursery traffic which is quite the operation at our church


all for some pretty awkward pictures...


Somebody please stop me.



Aww yes, the finale. What is going on with my arm? My parents have a family portrait where we are all sitting in khakis on the beach (very original) and I am posed in such a way that my arm makes it look like I have three legs. This is almost as weird.

And that's it. I gave up and hopefully learned my lesson - again. I was in Sevastopal, Ukraine for Easter my senior year in high school. Everywere you went strangers would exchange the following dialogue:

"He has risen."

"He has risen, indeed."


I liked that. Some argue that rituals promote meaningless, nominal faith. But a friend once poignantly asked, "Are we simply exchanging old rituals for newer less beautiful ones?"
Look at the wierd arm picture again for the answer.


Hope your day was full of hope and meaning!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

if it makes you feel any better, i almost cried on easter night when i realized that we did not have a picture from easter with our boys (and, for crying out loud, i had ACTUALLY dried my hair that day!)

Ruthie said...

I am the one with three legs in that picture. The fact that I feel the need to correct you and maintain my 3-legged status depresses me.

Nina said...

oh my gosh you are right.it is all a blur of white and khaki. i think i thought it was me because remember I kept doing funky things with my foot in the poses and he kept having to stop and reposition me? sorry to steal your status. i stand corrected.

Ann said...

I can't help but notice that Olivia looks exactly like Ruthie Strickland Weiglein with her weepy face in one of the above pictures. Not that Ruthie is weepy, but the muppet face I love so much (meaning expressive and fabulous to all of you non-WMers out there who don't know that I think Ruthie looks like a muppet, by the way I'm Ruthie's friend randomly posting on Nina's blog...) was staring at me through the Easter debacle.

Ann said...

I couldn't help but notice that Olivia looks exactly like Ruthie Strickland Weiglein in the weepy Easter picture. Not that Ruthie is overly weepy, but that muppet face I love so much (meaning, expressive and wonderful face for those of you who don't know that I think Ruthie looks like a muppet. I'm Ruthie's friend Ann, btw for those also wondering who the girl leaving the bizarre comment on Nina's blog is) was looking back at me through the tearful Easter pic.