Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's Right in Your World?

Last Friday I attended a conference and heard Dewitt Jones, a top photographer with National Geographic, give a talk entitled "Hallelujah: What's Right with the World." He had me at the title. A master storyteller, Jones urged us to see the wonder in our world and love what we do and where we are.

I find it hard not to be daunted as a parent looking into the future. The moment I gave birth I began to be afraid. I am afraid to give them this world. I fear the economy, and pandemics, natural disasters and terrorism. Will we run out of clean water? I fear middle school.

So I decided to take Dewitt Jones' challenge. I sat down and made a list of what is right in the world of Sophia and Olivia. I wrote some funny things and some things of beauty. I listed our extended family and our church family. I listed the moon and Christmas Carols and Chick-fil-A. The public library and the choir's version of "Fairest Lord Jesus" that feels transcendent. I remembered the first time I saw Les Miserables and how I felt forever changed. I mentioned Ice Dancing and the ocean, my brothers HUGE dog and my sisters little one. I wrote that I remember what their father was like in kindergarten and how their Buela's dream is to be a dancer at Disney World.

As I wrote, two things happened: 1. I couldn't stop and 2. I was filled with hope.

When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.
Psalm 94:19

4 comments:

PJH said...

This is amazing! Do you mind if I post this as a journal idea on my website, www.readwriteheal.com?

Nina said...

Go right ahead! He has a website, just google Dwight Jones

Nina said...

Umm...that would be google Dewitt Jones.Sorry!

gail simone said...

You are inspiring.