Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fancy Nancy

Sophia and I attended the Fancy Nancy Tea Party at Yankee Candle on Saturday. In order to fully understand this post I have provided a glossary of key terms:

Yankee Candle - I realize when I reference the YC that most people imagine a small store in the mall. Hardly. My friends, Williamsburg is the proud host of one of the only two "Yankee Candle Flagship Stores". Think Christmas Village/Gift Shop at Cracker Barrel. The Problem is YC does really well at Christmas Time with its snow village and 8546 different Christmas scents. The rest of the year it has to find a niche and has really focused in on two areas 1. Fancy Nancy gear and 2. Vera Bradley (more prints than the eye can process, it's like 2003 in there)

Fancy Nancy - Robin O'Connor wrote an adorable children's book about 5 years ago. She then got smart and sold all franchising rights and probably her soul and now we have a heroine almost as commercialized as Dora the Explorer - but with French

Mrs.Clause - Again, working with its Christmas-year-round theme, Santa Clause and Mrs. Clause preside over the YC hosting events and parading about with a regal air.
The Fancy Nancy Tea Party was for young girls and their mothers or grandmothers. We were invited to dress up and promised a special photo shoot and book reading.  I made reservations for this event weeks ago and have been talking it up to Sophia. 
Always one for a good theme, I put on my feather boa and off we go. Sophia chose to wear her winter hat instead of her "fancy" one. I am trying to let go...
Here is Sophia at our special reserved table. Our flyer said 12 noon. I arrived - on time, amazingly after feeding Olivia and putting her down for her nap with Travis. When I get there Mrs. Clause informs me that the tea party does not begin until 1. I argue that the flyer said 12. She said "I'm sorry, No we will not begin until 1." She then checked the list and saw that I indeed had a reservation - for noon. Now know this about yours truly. I really like to be right. And I like to catch others being wrong - on  technicalities. It's why I have leanings towards legal careers and religious fundamentalism. Also know this, I am not a yeller. But I am a scowler. These are not things I am proud of. There I am, in my huge boa,  scowling at MRS CLAUSE! Within minutes I am so ashamed of my behavior - and what it modeled for Sophia.
Here is Sophia getting her picture taken by the professional photographer. Shortly after she smashed her face on our tea party table and Mrs. Clause was so kind and even ran off and came back with ice. I felt even worse for my bad attitude and kind of wanted to disappear. 
Here is  Mrs. Clause reading to all of the Fancy Nancy's. Some of these outfits were incredible. Sophia did not want to wear her boa because it was itchy. Mine was itchy too but I pushed through.
And finally, Sophia reading to herself in the toy section. I think she tolerated the Tea Party because she could tell I was excited and she got two mini-cupcakes. But right now the worlds she creates and the stories she dreams up trump any event or experience that can be purchased. This is a good perspective for me as my children grow: how much of this stuff am I really doing for myself - and for the pictures?:)

4 comments:

Katie Shields said...

The Ta-Dah continues.

Ruthie said...

Well put, Katie.

This really brings me back to the Felicity Tea Party that we went to in Colonial Williamsburg. I was such the little sister who had to carry a teddy bear because I didn't have an American Girl doll. I was mortified.

Nina said...

Little Sister your memory does not serve you well. You had a doll because you got Molly the same year i got Kirsten (see, right on a technicality)

Stephanie Puffenbarger said...

Nina, it has been forever since i've seen you, but your wit and revelations on your blog keep me coming back to see what you and the girls have encountered and conquered next... You have a gift for expressing situations in words that touch the reader, thanks for sharing! I definitely enjoy your updates!