Thursday, February 4, 2010

Her Own Woman


Recently, Sophia attended a birthday party where all the guests had been encouraged to dress as princesses. She refused and wanted to wear her pajamas. I refused. Somehow we compromised on a hand-me-down-shirt that says "I love my dog" and sweat pants. When  I came to pick her up  I discovered that she had removed her pants halfway through the party and was simply wearing the dog shirt and her two pairs of underwear -this is the one item she insists on layering. In my dark moments I am that parent embarrassed of their tragically dressed child. In my better moments I am proud and hope that this same independent spirit will allow her to blaze all her own trails, and perhaps one day win a Nobel Peace Prize for liberating oppressed princesses everywhere...

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

I don't know, layered underwear sounds pretty oppressive to me...

the reppard crew said...

I am almost crying laughing at this . . . you are hilarious. And, I'm with Ruthie on the double-panties not being to freeing after all . . . :)