Sunday, September 26, 2010

With Hope


I began this month excited about new beginnings and schedules and preschool and Fall. But I will always remember this month for something entirely different. I had the honor of being in a dear friends wedding two years ago - and yesterday afternoon, in that same church sanctuary, I had the honor of holding her precious baby while we celebrated the life of her husband, who was killed in action in Kandahar, Afghanistan on September 9th.


It's been a long month - filled, as promised, with preschool and birthday parties and schedules and school clothes. But my heart has been far away and sad. My friend has endured great sorrow this month with grace and beauty and unshakable resolve. I had to remind myself to breathe yesterday amidst both grief and pride as this amazing woman, who I met when she was a junior in high school, so bravely and poignantly eulogized her husband, flanked on either side by her four closest friends - All army wives, two pregnant, two with babies, all four with husbands fighting in Afghanistan. There is a strength I know nothing about. And there is a Hope that I am trying so hard to cling to...Because sometimes it just feels sad.

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:25-26

No comments: