Saturday, September 18, 2010

I'm Having a Moment...

...Because this sweet guy just turned five... I remember the day Braden was born. When Bryce called to tell us the news I burst into tears. Some moments are so big and mean so much that tears replace words and I think with Braden's birth somehow I had an instinct that our lives too would soon enter this season - and change in the biggest way.
My instinct proved right. And Braden has paved the way for us from the beginning...I know next year when Braden enters kindergarten, I will tear up. When Sophia starts... I will probably be stressed about whether she had enough breakfast. Sadly, I tend to be too engrossed in the details of my own children's milestones to be emotional - so I preemptively experience them through Braden:)
I've learned that you need a all types of community to raise children:.
- You need friends that are right there in it with you so that you can talk ad-nauseum about sleep schedules and baby food and giving up pacifiers.
-You need friends with grown-up children to remind you that it goes fast and though your adult children may not wake you up at night to eat, their more complicated issues can lead to an even lesser amount of sleep.
- You need friends without children to remind you of who you are and who you want to be outside of being Mommy Hold Me Mommy Hold Me and facinate you with tales of The Outside World.
- And you need friends that are In It With You but Just A Little Ahead. They have survived beautifully but it was recent enough that they remember how they did it and have gear to lend you to help you do the same...
Laurie told me what to register for for my baby shower and what books were worth reading and basically said over and over that I was making it in those dark post-partum days...And one day soon she will explain bus schedules and school supply lists...
and how to throw 5 Year Old Birthday Parties Your Child Will Never Forget..

I've always been a firm believer in Birthday Magic, having been a recipient of it quite a few times (Oscar Party anyone?) But when 5 Members of the Tribe Basketball team
made a surprise running entrance onto Braden's Backyard Basketball Court...

I think we all felt we really were at The Happiest Place on Earth...



Throw in some hot dogs and cheese balls (!) and it was a pretty great Saturday.
Not to mention the Basketball Birthday Cake (I might have to commission Laurie to construct the Ariel cake in December.)

And as always, there's Braden and Coleman's Playroom. We just don't have these kind of dress up clothes at our house...Hey! Wanna trade? 4 Sparkly boas for one Tribe Football helmet?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this post! Anyone who saw me crying at the hospital the day Sophia was born probably understands why... :)