Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Another First, a Jaunt, Some Pizza, and a Rant

Today was Olivia's first day in Mom's Morning Out...3 hours every Wednesday morning she is in the "Ducks Class." My favorite part of this whole scenario is that the class says "Waddle Waddle Quack Quack" as they move around the building. Foo was not as enthralled. She was crying when I picked her up. Told me she cried the whole time and was hungry. Wow, she knows how to get the guilt going here. The greatest fear of the Latina mother is that her children be hungry or skinny...We shall see how this goes. Sophia was a Duck Class drop out two years ago when the emotional burdens of becoming a big sister took their toll...
Sophia goes to the "Bumblebee Class" on Wednesday. This afternoon she became a bumblebee for our walk to Colonial Williamsburg. Here she is in an ensemble she created herself pointing her "stinger" right at me.

I was only allowed to address her as "Bumblebee" and she refused to ride in the stroller because Bumblebees need to fly. I convinced her the stroller was the beehive and she got in. Two can play this game.

We ended up at Doraldo's for slices of pizza. The Bumblebees were very hungry.



Warning: I am stepping onto my soapbox with this next part...
I have this issue with strange people touching my kids, getting in their space, and basically being all-around too familiar. I take S and O out a lot in the stroller in Colonial Williamsburg so maybe what I experience is unique to tourist areas teeming with relaxed people with lots of time. I'm fine with strange people talking to them, saying hello, commenting on something they are wearing or doing. But please Strangers Who Swarm Around Us(!!!) do not get in their faces and talk on in your own strange child-language. Don't take their stuffed animals and tickle them with them. Don't try and soothe them if they are crying. I don't care if you have grandkids just this age or a stroller just like this. I don't care if they are cute and you miss these years. Give them the dignity of a little distance.
My stance is two fold:
1. I am trying to teach two preschoolers to respect other people's space. This task is complicated when people are always in theirs.
2. I am raising girls who,(fist shaking) heaven help me, will grow up believing they have power over their bodies and their minds - the ability to walk away when they don't want to do something, the strength to say stop when they are being wronged, and the mindfulness to believe in their own strength and capabilities regardless of what other's tell them.
Does empowerment really start in a stroller? Maybe. Or maybe it just starts with hearing your mother advocate for you even if it sounds awkward or rude. I didn't do that today with Crazy I Have Twins Just Like Them Woman, and I regret it. The last time I really said something was when that Pet Smart employee picked Sophia up. (What was I doing at Pet Smart anyways?)

I could be overreacting. I could just be a jerk. I'll take the risk. Every parent gets a few soapboxes. I'm going to develop a little dialogue for handling these offenses. Perhaps I will just print my thoughts on a sign and attach it to the stroller. Or maybe I'll just get Sophia Bumblebee an upgraded stinger...

3 comments:

the reppard crew said...

two things: 1) I was the parent aide in the boys' mmo class on monday and they both cried for their daddy. lovely. 2) we must talk soon about strangers and their interactions with our children. i could write a BOOK about it.

Nina said...

Shan -
I totally thought about you with this because I imagine having twins means twice the madness with strangers!

LindseyStrickland said...

I've debated getting the girls the book "Your Body Belongs to You" but didn't want to be the neurotic aunt who worked at a rape crisis center and is obsessed with personal boundaries. Guess what they're getting for Christmas!