Thursday, June 24, 2010

Things I Desperately Want for Sophia and Olivia #6

Lifelong Friends When I referenced a wedding we attended in 1997, Erin commented on the navy blue dress I wore. I remember fondly her striped jeans from sixth grade, she has a soft spot for my life-long addiction to turtlenecks. She holds memories I no longer have - discussions we had senior year in high school, the depth of angst we felt in college. We have laughed together over nothing since 1st grade and last Wednesday night, over a bottle of wine, we were able to shrug off our acceptance that though many things change, we just don't seem to "progress" all that much. And maybe we're the better for it...
And so Sophia and Olivia...my hope is that you have friends that make you laugh so hard your sides hurt, who speak strange languages with you, and believe you can do anything. Forego the quest to know it all (a hopeless cause) and revel instead in the Apostle Paul's declaration that "we are fully known." Because, if a late night catch up fest is merely a poor reflection of God's relationship to us, there is much to be excited about...

No comments: