Thursday, June 17, 2010

Seniors...

We had the Senior Banquet honoring all of those in Student Ministries who are about to graduate. Here's our small group. My first declaration upon turning 29 is that I am officially too old to do the Sorority Squat in the front row of a picture. Have fun with all that girls!
Christie,who has taught me the importance of prompt text message response. My continual failure to internalize this lesson is quickly leading to the demise of our friendship. Sorry Christie! Go Hokies?!

Running Partner Jessie -
She cleans up well...


Rylie and Crystal



Ali, Christie and Kristina




Renee, Katie and Tara
This group has been one of the sweetest parts of this season in my life - and it caught me by surprise. I took them on when they were leader-less as an effort to help out, never realizing how often they would prove to be my lifeline. They have taught me many many things including how people really dance at prom (big news to this Christian school girl), what stores to avoid entirely if I don't want to look like a Mom, and how you can learn everything you need to know about a person from 13.8 seconds on their Facebook Page.
But they have also humbled me again and again by sharing their hearts - their pain and their joy and their fears. I have had the privelege of watching right here from my Elmo-strewn living room as they grappled with the anxieties of growing up and deciding who they want to be. They have made me so proud.
Last December I clearly remember sitting squeezed in a pew at Christie's Grandmother's funeral. It was the second funeral that day for our little tear-stained group. I'll never forget Ali's Mom turning to me and whispering "Aren't we so lucky to be here?" And we were. And we are. It is an incredible gift to participate in people's lives. When one of these precious girls started sharing her most hidden thoughts I always felt I was entering sacred ground. I am honored to share the journey with them.
And now they will spend the rest of the summer trying to convince me to get on Facebook and I will be trying to tutor them on this real retro techonology called email...and next Fall I will become that creepy Mom who visits her friends in dorm rooms...I can't wait!
Maggie and Chelsea

No comments: