Monday, May 10, 2010

Hello Vineyard, Goodbye Carpet

Two very exciting events are about to transpire in the Familia de Simone.
1. On Friday we return to Martha's Vineyard!
Once again, Travis is speaking for a College Week at the FOCUS Study Center and we are so grateful to be able to stay for the week on this incredible camp amidst this beautiful island.
We had a great time last year but are even more excited this year because the girls are a little older and we know what to expect. Before we had kids trips were all about adventure and seeing things for the first time and spontaneity and the unknown. Now? Oh the relief of knowing where we will sleep and eat and fun places to go and places to skip even though tourbooks rave about them. And most exciting of all? Two words: Camp Food. A whole week of not thinking up meals or feeling guilty because I forgot to think up a meal. We will just find our way to the dining hall and eat what is set before us. And the food is wonderful!
2. Next Exciting Event? (Drumroll please) While we are gone...Our hardwood floors are being refinished!!! Just the thought takes my breath away. If you have ever visited my house, my greeting normally goes like this: "Welcome! Come on in...I'm sorry about the carpet."
Exhibit A:
When we bought this house in 2007, it had been newly remodeled and newly carpeted - a lovely bright cream. After the first 130 people or so had passed through, the color started changing - in the form of huge horrid stains...

Exhibit B
For a while Travis tried to convince me that it was not that bad. And I wanted to believe him. in the beginning steam cleaning would work - for about four days. Then the stains would emerge from underneath more powerful than ever. My shame grew until the climactic day when Uncle Tbone walked through the door and went "Ugh...what happened here?" (Thank you Tbone for reflecting truth to us). I knew we had an issue but what did I do? I decided to try and potty train an 18 month old. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
Exhibit C:

Now, thanks to a very kind man at our church, the beautiful hardwoods that have been living under this horrid carpet will come back to life. The carpet will be out of this house on THURSDAY. The crew will come in and refinish the wood over the next week and when we return...It will be like a scene from Extreme Home Makeover - minus Ty Pennington plus even more shrieking. Stay tuned. And have a great week.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay I'm so happy for you guys! Have a WONDERFUL vacation and I can't wait to see the new floors! :)

Megan said...

yay for new floors, nina!!! i know you are so happy

Katie Shields said...

I am happy for your vacation, but I've been missing your updates.