Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The toughest job in the world?


     So last night while wrapping presents I flipped between yet another made -for-TV wonder on FaLaLaLaLifetime and Oprah's White House Christmas with the Obamas. It was a fun/political/Oprah adore-fest interview with two really personable (and photogenic) people. But my favorite part was towards the end. Oprah was asking about what they missed about their old life. They said it was only about five years ago that they were living in a small condo with the two little girls.
     Then Obama kind of pauses and says (paraphrase) "Wow, those ages when the kids are young. Its tough. I mean they're beautiful but wow. The diapers. It's a lot." 
     Michelle is just looking fabulous and unflustered (this is how all women view other women we only know one-dimensionally, have you noticed? - as perfect) But Obama really looked tired just thinking about those pre-school years. WHAT? The man who managed to win the most historic election ever and now is leader of the free world in one of the roughest eras ever...daunted by small children?!  For one brief TV moment, I was my own hero. Thanks O. 

3 comments:

Erin said...

And you are always my hero... Especially when I reflect upon our days in in Annex A and the last 10 days of my life. Christmas! (Also, I am at work right now - on Christmas Eve - WHAT!) Where are those cigs?

Laura F. said...

You are a hero to your little girls and Travis! You seems like SO much fun to have as a mom! Just know...one day we will be like the Obamas and look back and say "Wow that was hard! But I survived!"

Megan said...

I saw in an interview with Michelle that good ole' Barrack did all the night feedings and night duties when their girls were babies...maybe Trav and Dave could try that out for awhile. Thats probably why Michelle seems so unflustered. She got her beauty rest ;)