Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Already, not yet.


My sophomore year in college I took a class called Christian Origins. I still remember wonderful, gentle, ruthlessly grading Professor Daise, dressed fully in Banana Republic linen, explaining the eschatology of Jesus to be the "Already, not yet" eschatology. He had come. He had fulfilled prophesy. The kingdom of God was upon us. But more was to come. The kingdom of God was coming. The kingdom was already here. The kingdom was not yet here. The tension remains. 

I can wrap my mind and my heart around this. Especially this time of year. He has come. Joy to the world. He is coming. We still wait in "fear and ever-pining." A dear family in our church lost their father and husband last week suddenly. The community that has surrounded them has been powerful and moving to see. Their faith in the face of unspeakable tragedy has challenged me greatly. He is here - already. The pain, the suffering, the loss are incredibly palpable and heart-breaking. Is He here? - not yet. 

I hope this Christmas you find a moment of peace and joy. I hope you get some great stuff. I pray that all around you see signs that He is here already. But in your darkness, and sadness, and amidst all that yucky crap that comes by way of being human - take heart. The best is yet to come. 

 Merry  Christmas. 

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Gosh, I miss Professor Daise. To Nina's readers at W&M, some of the best advice she gave me while I was in college was to take this class w Daise.