Monday, December 14, 2009

It might be time for the 15 Passenger Van...

If you see me, the majority of time I appear to be accompanied by two rather short people: Sophia and Olivia. But if  you engage our little group in conversation you will quickly realize that there is more than meets the eye. Sophia, like her father, is an extrovert. She does not like being alone or playing alone. I am sometimes not available (intentionally) to entertain her and Olivia does not meet her criteria yet, thus enter Diego, Pedro, Drew, Gracie, Evan, and Baby Jesus. Sometime I can trace the origins of her imaginary friends, others I have no idea. But I am quite happy about the multicultural bent her group has and that Jesus is truly her friend. In all seriousness, it is fascinating to watch her imagination at work. It's also interesting territory to navigate as a parent - does Diego get his own glass of milk? Can Olivia really not sit in a chair because Pedro is already there? Sophia has been sleeping on the floor because Diego is in the bed. I often hear her imitating me to her friends "Diego, you need to cooperate. Pedro, I am not your slave. You need to sleep all by yourself and wipe your nose yourself."  Is that what I really sound like? No wonder she's creating an alternate reality...

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Good thing I was thinking ahead when I made you that denim jumper with the calculator and school bus buttons. I think it's part of the uniform for driving that van.