Wednesday, September 2, 2009

...Worth a Thousand Words

 Curtain.


(and a bit more text for those interested...): Life with little children is intense in a thousand small ways. And for those of us who do not space our children in any sort of wise, recommended way, we are exhausted for years. Simply put, my most recent fear is that I just won't remember. Every day is filled with so many moments of wonder woven throughout so many practical, boring demands. I worry that the pragmatism overrules the sheer power of the tiny events. Sophia started sleeping in her "Big Girl Bed" on Sunday. An event that I had always imagined would be filled with emotion and ceremony and picture taking was ruled by my desire to finally clear up some space in her room and my worry that she would wake up at 5am and go for a run around the college. When I am out with them in the stroller people stop me constantly, some with tears in their eyes. They always say the same thing: "Enjoy it. It goes so FAST." There are moments that do not go fast enough. Potty training for instance, has truly taken its time. But I don't want to miss the powerful moments. This morning I was rushing around the house trying to get them out the door. And I look over and Sophia, wearing nothing but a shirt and old slippers is crooning into her microphone "How Great Thou Art" while Olivia provided the harmony with her dialect of guinea pig noises. I was sad when I realized that I almost missed it. And for what? We were already late, the house was already a mess, and I was already covered in peanut butter and jelly. What do I have to prove?

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Thank you for sharing this! Keep a journal and get a video camera!

I hope Ana watched my antics with as much tenderness as you shared here.