Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Things I Never Thought I'd Know About...

This is The Big Truck Book. It has been one of Sophia's favorites for about half her life now. We check it out of the library whenever its available and renew it and pay fines on it way over the amount if would have cost to buy it...It's not my favorite genre of literature. No plot, no characters, no sentences. Just pictures of trucks and their names. Skid steer, Giant Excavator and ....
THE BACKHOE LOADER. In a moment of amazing serendipity we came across this celebrity of the construction trucks while walking home from the library with The Big Truck Book in hand! Sophia and I discussed at length. Was it the Giant Excavator? Or perhaps the Mini Excavator? Was it a cousin to the Bulldozer? We compared pictures and I began to suspect Backhoe Loader only to have it confirmed by the kind men using it to  dig holes for trees. 

Sensing our excitement The Backhoe Loader Man asked "Do I get a lollipop?" after telling us the name. Not missing a beat, or realizing I was speaking to an adult. I respond "No, lollipops are only for using the potty today." As they all laughed at me I realized what a bizarre Island of Weirdness I exist on with my children. But then I quickly shrugged it off. It may be an Island of Weirdness, but at least on this Island I am Queen.

5 comments:

mallory said...

Hahaha you crack me up! I love your funny stories.

EmmaLouLiz said...

Nina do you just carry your camera wherever you go? There's a photo-op for everyday! I will remember to carry mine too when Kiley is born...

Ruthie said...

This reminds me of little Peter! Congrats on being Queen of the Island of Weirdness...

Esther Diehl said...

Nina,

I stumbled across this and laughed so hard then promptly sent it to Julia so she could share it with Nathan.

Your girls are beautiful.

Esther

Nina said...

Emma - I do carry my camera everywhere now. I keep it in the diaper bag and i never regret it!